The main aim of our 5 Year Research Project is to analyze the changes in the role and function of the governments in Korea and major ASEAN countries since 1997. The outcomes of this research will help to develop an “Asian” model of the role and function of the government, befitting the Asia-specific environments and characteristics, hence will contribute to mutually beneficial development and cooperation among the countries in the region.
This is the 1st Round of the 5 Year Research Project. The aim of the research is to understand basic features of the government systems in Korea and major ASEAN countries, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia. To understand the basic features, the research demands to investigate changes in the government systems. This also helps clarify major issues in the process of changes in the government systems.
Specific Research Contents
This research covers five countries, such as Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam. The focus of the research will be given to the changes in the roles and functions of the central government in each country. The research on the roles and functions of the government comprises five areas as follows. In each research sub-area, suitable cases will be selected for analysis.
- Changes in the environments that affect the roles and functions of the government
- Changes in the government structure and organization
- Changes in the strategies for human resource management and structure
- Government system and the application of the E-Government
- Structure and cooperation between the central and regional government.